Podcast #124 - December 5th, 2007
Interview with Lawrence Krauss; News Items: Hucka-Bee, Moonbeams in Arizona, Chimp Memory, Anti-vaccine misinformation on Youtube; Your Questions and E-mails: Stem Cell Con, Information Theory; Name That Logical Fallacy; Science or Fiction; Skeptical Puzzle
- Hucka-bee www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1934276/posts
- Moonbeams in Arizona news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071205/sc_nm/moonbeams_dc_1;_ylt=AlH2J7H2OnC8mRO1ARi_KooE1vAI
- Chimps Smarter than Humans? news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7124156.stm
- Anti-vaccine propaganda on Youtube www.physorg.com/news116082504.html
Questions and E-mails
- Stem Cell Con A friend is getting adult stem cells to help with his elderly father. He is desperate so I can understand his willingness to try anything. I included the website listing below.
I am almost certain it is a scam. Someone is trying to replace supplements with these 'stem cell' pills. Not sure if it is any better.
Just curious if there are any papers or sites that might provide a more educated look at this stuff?
Are there stem cell vendors like this popping up all over the country?
- Information Theory Someone recently posted this on another forum I frequent. I'm curious to know if anyone else here has read it, and what you think about it.
It was difficult to read some of it, because the entire time I was reading I envisioned this guy pointing a finger and screaming at me. Also, I searched before I posted it; I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before.
From the SGU Forums
Name That Logical Fallacy
- Logical Fallacies We humans must constantly be aware of the fallacy that 'correlation does mean causation'. Although I understand this fallacy, I'm not sure how the burden of proof is met. How do scientists prove causation? What burden of proof must one meet to satisfy skeptics and scientists?
- Interview with Lawrence Krauss www.phys.cwru.edu/~krauss/
Director of the Center for Education and Research in Cosmology and Astrophysics at Case Western Reserve University
Author of many popular books including:
Fear of Physics
The Physics of Star Trek
Beyond Star Trek
Atom: An Odyssey from the Big Bang to Life on Earth...and Beyond
Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond
Science or Fiction [ Show Answers ]
- Question #1 Science Contrary to prior belief, new evidence suggests that southwestern American indians were not introduced to alcohol by Europeans but were fermenting beer from corn for centuries prior to contact.
- Question #2 Science New research shows that young adults who have a close relationship with their parents are actually more independent.
- Question #3 Fiction New evidence suggests that silicon-based life formed on earth prior to organic life and may have served as a template for the first organic cells.
- Puzzle This Week's Puzzle:
A person does the following things:
Tugs their ear
Puts a pen in their mouth
Pulls their tongue
Simulates being drowned
Presses a brass rod against their cheek
What are they trying to accomplish?
Last Week's puzzle:
An enemy of scientology
And a used car salesman to boot
He developed a strange philosophy
Of which Zen mastery was the root
Self-taught with no formal degree
He changed his name, and ran from home
Gullible masses made him rich, you see
He fled the country with money to roam
Answer: Werner Erhard
Quote of the Week
- Quote 'No amount of experiments can ever prove me right; a single experiment may at anytime prove me wrong.'
- Albert Einstein